Friday, February 7, 2020

Age is not the Issue

David was a youth when he defeated Goliath (1 Sam 17:33). Jeremiah was a youth when he was called to be a prophet (Jer 1:6). Timothy was a youth when Paul left him to care for the church at Ephesus (1 Tim 4:12). We are never too young to serve the Lord.

Moses was 80 and Aaron 82 when they were called to lead the people out of Egypt (Ex 7:7). Caleb was 85 when he conquered Hebron (Jos 14:10). Anna was at least 84 when she told everyone about the birth of Jesus (Lk 2:36ff). We are never too old to serve the Lord.

August 3 of last year marked fifty years from the first time I led a song in public worship. Next year will mark fifty years since I preached my first sermon. It seems unlikely that I will still be able to sing or preach fifty years from now, but if I am able, I hope you know what I will be doing. Age is not the issue.

Health is sometimes an issue. Often, as we grow older, we just cannot do what we would love to do. But age is not the issue.

Last summer, the church lawn was mowed by a 90-year-old. At Cascade Christian, E.W. McMillian was still teaching Bible classes at the age of 90.

Lack of training can sometimes be an issue. I heard a really good lesson given by a teenager a few years ago, and a really terrible lesson given about the same time by a man in his fifties. The youth had taken advantage of opportunities to learn, the older man had not.

What is our issue? We might have a health issue; we might have a training issue; we might have an attitude issue, but we do not have an age issue. Our God is timeless. Age is never an issue with him. It is never too early and never too late to serve him.

Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, “I have no pleasure in them” (Ecclesiastes 12:1, ESV).

So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come (Psalm 71:18, ESV).

No comments: