Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Imperfect Is Better Than Non-Existent

According to an old story, someone approached the well-known preacher, Alexander Whyte, and told Whyte that he did not like Whyte’s methods of visitation. Whyte confessed that he too was dissatisfied with many of his visits. He then asked, “Tell me how you conduct your visits.” The complainer had to admit that he did not do any visitation. Whyte replied, “I do not like the way I visit; but I like the way I visit better than the way you do not visit.”

Something similar might be said about our Bible studies. I confess that I am not always satisfied with our Bible classes, either the ones we hold at the building or the ones held in homes. Sometimes those of us who teach are not as well prepared as might have been wished. Sometimes we wander from the subject and comments are made that are a bit astray. But I am convinced that imperfect participation is better than the most perfect non-participation.

I have eaten many meals that were very good, but I do not know that I have ever eaten a perfect meal. I am not even sure what a “perfect meal” would be. On a number of occasions I have eaten some very imperfect meals. But as my daddy always said, “Half a loaf is better than none.” Had I turned up my nose at every imperfect meal through the years, I would not be alive today (physically or spiritually).

Don’t be a critic who complains about classes, worship, or visitation efforts. Of course, those who visit and encourage others do not always handle it perfectly. Of course, those who teach do not always teach perfectly. Nor do those who cook do so perfectly. But I am still going to show up at the table come dinner time, and I expect you will too. Try showing up to visit someone, even as imperfect as your visit is sure to be. Try showing up to Bible class, as imperfect as that class is sure to be. Imperfect is better than non-existent every time.

No comments: